Friday, April 29, 2011

Three Years with Two Babies


Three years ago this evening, I was incredibly nervous. Not only were we about to become parents for the first time, Darren and I were about to welcome TWO tiny baby girls into our lives. The next day, a little after noon, on Wednesday April 30th, two 6+ pound babies came screaming into this world.
Well, they're not screaming in this picture, but you can imagine the noise level!


They were perfect. Dark hair and dark blue eyes in the beginning. When I first saw them I desperately tried to recognize something familiar in them. I studied their features for hours on end trying to memorize everything. I was their mother. It was important for me to be able to tell them apart. While they weren't identical, it does take a bit of time to notice the difference between two brand new infants. I'll admit, it did take me a few days to truly tell them apart. I repeatedly had to refer to their hospital bracelets to make sure I didn't call either baby by the wrong name. Seriously, look at the picture above. For those of you who have met my babies...can you tell which one is which? :)

Here they are on their first birthday...now it gets easier to tell them apart:


and finally on their second birthday:


Apparently on their first and second birthdays, I failed to capture any pictures of them together! Now I have a goal for their third birthday!

During the last three years we have had our fair share of adventures. I never imagined myself with twins, but now I can't imagine it any other way. I stare at them constantly and think about how lucky I am to have them. Hopefully I will continue to remember that as they get older and the parenting issues become more challenging.

Happy birthday to my precious baby girls!




1 comment: